September 17, 2008

Tutu Overload

For the record, I can chop wood like a fiend and not so long ago I could lift a 4x8 sheet of plywood over my head, vertically. That being said...I now have 3 different yarns with which to knit tutu covers. I even have 3 yards of sparkly, purple tulle to make a new tutu. And LP has a lovely pirouette skirt from the local thrift store.

This post will also serve as a lesson in photo posting. Can I get all the pictures I want with text around them? We will see.

Back to the tutus. Did I go overboard? Perhaps. It was more a case of finding out my main reason for driving to town was unavailable which left lots of free time, forgot to check my stash for possible tutu yarn, LYS had a shelf 75% off...you get the picture.

To the right we have our newest acquisition. I think the main feature in both the tulle & the yarn is SPARKLES & PURPLE. Apparently, in a 4yr old brain both of these are a must. The goal is to make a tutu from the tulle and knit a lovely lace skirt that sits on top of all the fluff. Marco Polo is a rather thin yarn, combine that with big needles it should be light enough to not squash the tulle fluff.






To the left we have my endless stash of kid yarn. This was purchased in a very cheap, huge bag from a thrift shop and LP already has a poncho out of it. Massively thick n thin, this yarn is incredibly difficult to knit with. Heaven forbid you have to frog something. I prefer throwing it out and starting over. Unfortunately, it is beloved by my child. I have knit up a gauge sample on sz35 needles and it looks pretty cool. It matches her current pink tutu, will undoubtedly squash it, but I have enough to make leg warmers as well, so it will be a really cute, fuzzy, fashion statement. (or completely overdone atrocity that should never see the light of day)

This last yarn is some Mohair I bought planning great things then realized 1)it isn't that soft 2) it is rather difficult to knit and 3) don't even think of frogging it. It is my personal favorite for the tutu cover. I think it will be light, airy and add just a little halo around my lil' ballerina. She hates it. Nuff' said.


So, while I am almost finished with my fab red sweatervest, have 3 classes coming up and haven't finished my samples and umpteen other projects sit in the wings...this week I will be knitting tutu's. Stay tuned for the icing on the yarncake to be revealed in the next post.



No comments: