September 18, 2008

Babe With Sticks

These days I have a lot of 1 on 1 time with LP (Lil'Pea). This whole tutu saga is evidence of that. What is truly amazing is the request I received after picking out all the yarn for her tutu cover.


"Mama, will you teach me to knit?" I could not refuse. I cast on and got the first row (10sts) knitted for her. She then sat with me and knit 2 more rows. Asking continuously, "Is this a sweater? I want to knit a sweater. What part of the sweater is this?"



The next day she asked again to knit, so we continued. She did her last row almost completely by herself. Then held the 4-5 row piece of knitting up to her body, "This part is done." She eventually decided we were probably knitting the collar. Because she could almost stretch the swatch around her neck.

Before I can blink she is going to be knitting her own tutu covers. At least I'll have a test knitter in the house when I finally get around to writing a pattern.

And yes, she's a picker like me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is so very, impressively cool! Natty has been begging to learn to knit for at least a year now, so it's understandable to me that Phia wants to learn. The truly amazing thing is that Phia could learn! I am too impatient and Natty hasn't gotten it yet. (which reflects more on my poor teaching skills rather than her learning skills I think). Phia is lucky her mamma knows how to actually teach knitting instead of just knit. Have a great time.