September 7, 2008

Dyeing left & right


This week I am going to dye. With a y e, not an i e. I am going to dye cashmere, camel & yak from Mongolia. I will also do my first attempt at dying roving. I am going to start with gold superwash roving because it is really hard to felt superwash fibers. So I've been told. We will see. I have some lovely handspun that will go into the dyepot as well. Pink is on the top of my list of colors. I will also do some red, orange and lavender.


Anyone have any other requests? Yes, I realize that the only people I have given this blog address to are my two sisters. I also posted it on my Ravelry page!
The picture is of the single ply camel yarn. I will ply a bunch of it into 2 & 3 ply yarns and kettle dye it. I am a little tired of plying after the dying process. I still have a lot of dyed singles ready to ply.
Wish me luck. Handling chemicals is always a blast!


2 comments:

Jen said...

Yippee! Another blogger in the family - Lelia, when are you going to start yours? hehe.
Teal, I'm excited to hear what you're working on. I bought some Debbi Bliss cashmere in London (at a half price sale it was still quite a investment but I couldn't pass it up) and just started casting on a hat. She had some bright colors so I'm thinking of doing some festive hats for Christmas presents. We'll see how that goes. Keep posting pictures of the colors - I love to see how they turn out.

Glamma13 said...

Is that why you are such a good cook also? you know, "Kitchen Chemist" type thing? You come by it rightly, just ask your Uncle Jim about our 'Wax Factory'
Glamma